- Waking up at 7:15am without an alarm and feeling rested.
- Homemade chai with added cinnamon.
- A morning stroll around the farmer’s market across the street with no real need for anything aside from the smells of fresh produce and the smiles of friendly local farmers.
- Sitting on the porch in a sweater all day with your roomie until it actually warms up enough to be in not a sweater.
- Email catch-ups to old mentors and returning friends.
- Pulling out new stationery to (slowly) chip away at the long list of friends to whom letters are long overdue.
- Phone calls with friends not-saying-but-saying, “I need someone right now; can you be that someone right now?”
- Casual compliments from strangers on public transportation masking absolutely no hidden agenda.
- Seeing a former student out on a bike ride with his father in a neighborhood neither of you belong to, and seeing his face light up with recognition as he shyly waves hello.
- Cheerfully yelling, “HELLO!” and giggling across a busy intersection filled with strangers in response to seeing your former student out on that bike ride with his father in the neighborhood neither of you belong to after his face lights up with recognition and he shyly waves hello.
- A walk in the park (lit’rally!) with a former camarade de chambre, followed by a glass of heavy Lebanese wine and an infamous 24-hour diner’s flavorless omelets, both served with sides of nostalgia and undergraduate remembrances.
- Quiet streets and a potent dose of reflection to serve as my prayer of gratitude for a day of exquisitely unadorned beauty.